11.15.2005

Lock the church doors...

When is the last time that God called off church for the week? Probably too long ago. What if God said, "Don't waste my time this Sunday by acting like things are going OK"... or ... "I know that you aren't bringing your best to worship, you are robbing me".... or ... "I need a Sabbath from your sorry excuse from worship" ... or ..."your service is so full of you (speaking, playing, singing) that there is no room for me (to speak, to encourage, to be there)."

I know sacrilege to even suggest the thought. But I know that God is not impressed with our shows or our words if we are coming to Him with all of our heart, mind, soul and strength. And in a day when God did speak quite directly to his people, he said something just like this. In the time of the prophets, God sent Malachi to Israel to point out to them the error of their ways. And their problem was that they were playing at worship and in the process mocking God. Trying to get God's full blessing, while cutting corners on the sacrifice they were willing to make to Him. So God says, "I wish that one of you would close the temple doors...I am not pleased with you...and I will no longer accept an offering from you (Malachi 1:10)."

Is our church due for a Fall Break? Does God wish that we would just lock the doors and quit playing at worship? Our God is a Great King and is worthy of our best. Why do we consider holding it back? Who are we saving our best for? Our worship matters because He matters.

No comments: