9.07.2006

Akeelah's BEE is too much

Christine and I watched the Starbucks Entertainment film “Akeelah and the Bee” over the weekend. And I must say that it is the feel good, family flick of the year. We both held back tears at numerous times. The inspiring story of a young black girl from the rough part of South Central LA who lost her dad to an early death and struggles to spell her way (literally) out of a negative neighborhood and struggling school by entering a world controlled by rich white suburban kids and international homeschoolers… really struck a chord.

I would highly commend the film to all.

But I was left wrestling with a few questions. Are people good or bad? And what must happen to bring out the goodness in people?

My own contention is that people are largely selfish and generally are prone to tear others down. And in general when others are prospering or excelling the natural tendency is to work against them or lash out at them in order to overcome feelings of inferiority. While there is a spark of goodness in people it is not awakened until there is some terrible tragedy like 9/11 for instance. In the wake of this close-to-home but other-focused terror, people are more willing to stoop to help those in need.

But the storyline, of Akeelah swims against this stream. Akeelah is surrounded by negative, destructive, angry people. And as she seeks to rise above her situation and achieve something, these selfish people lose themselves in the task of helping her achieve. Her angry mom, turns into her number one fan. Her depreciating brother helps her do something he can’t. Even the local gangster turns into a nice guy confessing he once wrote a poem and the helps her train for the competition.

But where do these people find the resources to give selflessly with no personal gain to be seen? My question is an anthropological one. Is it possible that people like Akeelah, who simply set out to do something as simple as win a spelling bee, can change a community? I wish I could say yes, but I think a transformed community is a collection of transformed hearts. And I don’t think the story honestly deals with the type of heart transformation necessary for those around her not only to cheer her on but to willingly participate in her success. I think people are generally too selfish, because I know myself and I’m too selfish.

Don’t get me wrong. I was inspired. I even want to pick up a dictionary and learn a new word. I can’t wait for the next spelling bee to be on ESPN. But changed communities require heart transplants. We must die to our selfishness before we can live selflessly.

No comments: