11.18.2007

Now THAT'S a good question

I've been carrying a scrap of paper around with me for about 6 weeks now. It is a simple list of questions. But there is something about these questions that cuts right to the core of my being. They are good questions... and they cause me to pause and reflect.

I picked them up one Sunday morning when I was visiting my church away from home, Apex. Pastor Rob lifted them from the pages of [Nehemiah], as he led his church through the book earlier this summer. I think a good question is dangerous... it can expose you. This set has proven dangerous for me... I hope you benefit as well.

1. What is it right now that requires courage from you to act on? [1]
2. Do you feel like you are meeting with the people of God or building with the people of God? [2]
3. How do you deal with conflict and do you realize how important your response is? [4]
4. Are you pursuing self advancement so much that you are desensitized to hurting people around you? [5]
5. Is prayer a regular part of your fight of faith or is it a last resort? [6]
6. Is having to be known by others more important to you than being known by God? [7]
7. Is your pursuit of joy in God the primary pursuit of your life? [8]
8. Is it hard for you to admit your wrong or take responsibility for sinful actuions? [9]

May you be so fortunate as to hold company with people who ask good questions.

4 comments:

REO Guy said...

Great post.... good to see you back in the groove.

slw

clayburkle said...

you're a good friend Sean... thanks for the encouragment!

Unknown said...

In my own thoughts after being a Christian for many years. I have learned that Christians are accountable to God because they will not understand their spiritual character deeply unless they subject themselves to the spiritual discipline of the Holy Spirit.

Jesus touches our lives (inward) and enables us to touch others (outward). And since the Gospel so transforms us with the power of the Word, we can demonstrate God's grace power with the reality of our lives.

I like reading your blog. Thanks

clayburkle said...

Jim,
Very well said. The gospel is everything... huh! Thanks for stopping by.