10.19.2006

Crazy about community

I’ve been studying the first century Jewish practice of discipleship lately, so that… like… when… like… Jesus said… like “go make disciples”, I… like… know what the heck he is talking about! And one of the things that it meant is a radical commitment to community. I came across the idea that to a disciple…the community is more important that the individual. That idea sure ups the ante on Jesus invitation to “Come, follow me”, doesn’t it. And it sure makes a little more sense why he would put commitment to discipleship above love of family (Luke 14:26). Jesus was crazy about community.

Now let’s try to put this into the context local church small groups, probably the churches best parallel to band-of-brothers type of discipleship community. On the spectrum of responses that people give to the suggestion that they should be committed to a small group here are three common ones I have seen:

It’s too unsafe: These folks love independence and distance, that way no one gets into their lives and exposes weaknesses or needs. To these folks church is a spectator sport and spirituality is a private thing. They will come to Christ as long as it doesn’t involve getting too close to his people. They don’t buy into community.

It’s too much: These folks buy into community but mainly when it is convenient. When work gets busy, family comes in town or they just aren’t feeling it they bail. They see value in community but when their personal lives need some attention it is adios to the small group. When push comes to shove the individual is more important than the community.

It’s too critical: This crowd doesn’t just buy community; they fry it up and eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They say, it is too critical to my spiritual health for me not to be committed to my church or small group. They place such a value on their community that they schedule life, pleasure and even work around this commitment. They are absolutely crazy about community.

If you want to be my disciple, you must hate everyone else by comparison-- your father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters-- yes, even your own life. Otherwise, you cannot be my disciple. - Luke 14:26

I bounce around between these responses throughout my year. Sometimes I am tired and stressed and don’t want to take the risk of building community with others. These are the days when I just lay around on the weekends watching football. Other times I try it and I just don't click with anybody and it feels fake. Then sometimes I find the sweet spot of Christian community and pass the mash potatoes because I’m gonna feast on this as long as I can.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love community! It's just huge as it relates to large churces especially. John Ortberg has a great book called "Everybody's Normal Till You get to Know Them" which is all this need. He talks about how we all have an "As Is" tag and need other people to find value in us. You find that in the right small group. But the key is finding the RIGHT small group. Great post.

clayburkle said...

Great book suggestion Aaron. Aaron is one of those guys who lives this out! And his suggestion to find the RIGHT small group is freeing. We've all spent some time in the WRONG one.

Thanks A1

Anonymous said...

Any time brother. It helps to have a church that puts the focus on the community as well. We need to "rejoice with those who rejoice and mourn with those who mourn" (Romans 12:15). I enjoy being in your "blog small group" ;)