3.26.2007

Wizardly Wisdom

I devoured a recent article about John Wooden in my March 19 edition of Sports Illustrated. The story, "Birth of a Dynasty", tells the story of the coach's first basketball National Championship team ('63-'64). After that win he went on to win 9 of the next 11 National Titles. Wow!

What I didn't know is that he didn't win his first championship game until the 16th year of coaching. I had always thought that his rise to success came much quicker... 16 years, talk about patience and persistence. Another wow!

Ala Yogi Berra... he became know for saying very quotable things, like the following.

When you’re through learning, you’re through.

It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts.

He’s admitted his stubbornness kept him from winning sooner. (not really a quote, but an honest and humble confession)

Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who’ll argue with you.

As a young pastor, new father and growing Christian... I need this type of wisdom to guide and direct me as I navigate the turbulent waters of life.

No comments: