2.10.2008

Storytime

Tim Keller once said something like, "What makes the Bible different that other religious scriptures is that it is story sprinkled with instruction, not instruction sprinkled with story."

So I think my biggest challenge as a Christian father is tell my kids God's story sprinkled with istruction. And I think I've found some awesome tools that help me do just that. We use these tools as part of our nightly bed-time ritual. It is story and instruction... every night.

I use the Jesus Storybook Bible to tell my kids the story of the Bible. I first heard of it from my reformed brother, Kurt, who once bragged that he'd found the Best Kids Bible Ever. And you know what... I think he's right. Here's a snippet:

No, the Bible isn't a book of rules, or a book of heroes. The Bible is most of all a Story. It's an adventure story about a young Hero who comes from a far country to win back his lost treasure. It's a love story about a brave Prince who leaves his palace, his throne - everyting - to rescue the one he loves. It's like the most wonderful of fairy tales that has come true in real life!... There are lots of stories in the Bible, but all the stoires are telling one Big Story. The Story of how God loves his children and comes to rescue them.... It takes the whole Bible to tell this Story. And at the center of the Story, there is a baby. Every Story in the Bible whispers his name.

I use the Foundation Verse Pack from Desiring God Ministries... in the English Standard Version (of course) for biblical instruction. We call them our fighter verses... because we fight sin and fear and the devil with our verses. Each card has a picture on the front and a verse on the back. Sometimes we turn the verse into a song or I come up motions to go along with the verse. Those verses tend to sink in the deepest.

So that is how we are trying to tell the Story sprinkled with instruction in our house. Happy storytelling!

4 comments:

Sally Lloyd-Jones said...

Clay,
I came across your very cool blog via a google alert--and just wanted to say Hi and thanks very much for your review. I'm so happy to hear that you are finding the book helpful in storytelling with your little girls.

hadn't heard that "story sprinkled with instruction not instruction sprinkled with story." But Amen to that!

(also you may be interest to know that on my site there are some cool resources--reviews, some audio of the stories, etc.)

thanks again!

clayburkle said...

Sally,
Thanks for stopping by. How cool, that an author would stop by and say thanks to fan.

You've brought the Story of the Bible alive for my kids. Thanks!!! And I think I've figured out at least a bit of your inspiration... a good pastor.

I love your site and will be back for more.

Krysty said...

That is a great book! I love how every story points to the need for a Savior and how Jesus is THE rescuer. Great read for the kids...our boys love the Tower of Babel story (Babel Rabble) We'll have to look in to the fighter verses! Thanks for sharing!

clayburkle said...

Krysty,
I knew you had good taste! Griffin's favorite story is "the Terrible Lie" (aka - the Fall)... yikes...what does that mean?