4.18.2007

Wear what suits you to church

****I am alive. I have been alive and actually well during the last 2 weeks of my blog hiatus. But sometimes I get in a thinking funk and don't have anything to say. Sorry to Todd & Matt (the two guys that I know read this)... I'm back. So here is something light to get me back on track.***

I was on Mark Cuban's blog today for the first time. If you don't know him he is the controversial owner of the Dallas Mavericks (that is an NBA team for those who don't know). I lived in Dallas when he bought the team and he was always in the headlines. I remember the time that he said he would buy every person in Reunion Arena (the old home of the Mavs) a gordita if the Mavs scored over 100 points. The Mavs were crushing somebody and kept in their starters so that the could hit the century mark... yummy.

So today I saw his post entitled "Why I Don't Wear a Suit and Can't Figure Out Why Anyone Does !" I just love the conversation that this post can start. I've noticed that at our church few attendees wear suits, yet we pastoral leaders almost always wear suits. Why? The answer that I have landed on is purely cultural (not biblical). The challenge that we in the ministry face is how to not let church cultural expressions get in the way of being an access point for all to hear/see/experience the message of the gospel.

And so my judgment is that we should not make it difficult for the Gentiles who are turning to God. Acts 15:19

So why do you wear what you wear to church? What do you think I should wear?

2 comments:

Josh Perry said...

First, let me say that I don't know who those jokers you gave a shout out to are, but I read your blog religiously. In fact, I have a cup of coffee and my Bible open as I do. Second, you should leave that church and come to mine. Third, if you don't do that you should start your own. Fourth, I think you should wear your birthday suit to church.

The team with the most points wins!

clayburkle said...

Josh,
I love you man... you'll be on the next shout-out list... f'shizzle.

To all my other readers, let me provide some background for you... Josh is from West Virginia. That means he is.... special.