5.10.2007

A Long Way Gone… the death of innocence

Another thought on A Long Way Gone. I was struck by something that one of Ishmael’s friends, Saidu, said just days before he died of sickness while in the jungle as a boy solider (p.70)…

Every time people come at us with the intention of killing us, I close my eyes and wait for death. Event thought I am still alive, I fell like each time I accept death, part of me dies. Very son I will completely die and all that will be left is my empty body walking with you. It will be quieter that I am.

The idea of thrusting children into civil war is sinful. It is ungodly. It is unjust. It dehumanizes them and robs them of opportunity and hope. It kills them first, spiritually, then physically.

Who will intercede for them? Who will be an advocate on their behalf? They need someone to come in and save them from this conflict… to give them hope and a new life.

We all need this kind of saving spiritually... in some cases (like in Sierre Leone) people also need it physically.

No comments: