5.05.2007

VT is not forgotten

I regret not posting earlier on the tragedy down at Va Tech. For some the news has come and gone. For others the pain is still fresh. I was stunned and saddened and appalled at the darkness that could lie within a human soul. And I really had no idea what to say. Sometimes I just need to be silent.

But after some reflection I thought I'd post on how do we respond Christianly when such tragedy strikes? In a variety of ways I suppose. One is simply to be present with one another. It is not so much what we say or do for those who mourn, but to be in the presence of a loved one. I even remember hearing some of the students say they could not go home during the break... because they needed to be together.

This is the very thing that God offers to us... his presence. Even his name "I am" or "I will be" is not so much a quality as it is his dynamic presence. The creator is a dynamic presence in the lives of those whom believe and trust in him.

Another Christian response is that we sing. It may sound simple or silly or even condescending, yet it is profoundly true. In times of tragedy or deep pain we turn to our poets and musicians to remind us that things were good... that things are OK.. and that things will get better.

In light of this the Passion movement, led by Louie Giglio, which is the Christian voice to college students is offering a free EP in the month of May called Hope for the Hokies. You can download it here.

No comments: