6.26.2007

Saying Goodbye

I've heard that behind every good book, there is a twisted mind... I'm not sure if that applies but I thought I would throw it out.

I'm working through how to say good-bye this week. I posted here about my friend... mentor... and co-pastor... Denny. Right now he is just a few doors down from my office and the door is always open. We will often have a running conversation... that carries throughout a whole week. It's a blast!

But next Monday... that office will be vacant. So I'm working through how to say good-bye. Anyway... here is how I'm trying to do it.

Remember: I think it is important to look back and remember how someone has impacted you. Remember the victories. Remember the obstacles overcome. Remember the fun times and the growing that you've done together. Tell the stories. Look at the pictures. Let the emotions of those experience flood back and enjoy. There is no wasted time... only opportunities to grow and learn. Remembering helps me to redeem the time.

Grieve: When you say good-bye it is natural to feel sad about the loss. Anytime that we lose something or someone that we are fond of... it hurts... and that is OK. So I allow my feelings of sorrow to bubble to the surface and get out. I like to tell the person that I will miss them and what they have meant to me... that is part of grieving... identifying and naming the loss.

Pray: This helps me to turn the situation over to God... it helps me come to a holy closure of the event. I turn my grief over to the Lord. And I ask God to bless and lead whoever is leaving. That way I can see their leaving... more as a going... and can join in the joy and excitement of what God has in store for them.

God, Thank you for bringing Denny & Carol across my path. Thank you for their investment in my life and their example of following you. Now I pray that you will shine the light brightly before them and prepare them for the exciting new beginning you have in store for them. Amen

"...every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end."
SuperSonic, "Closing Time"

No comments: