8.02.2006

The Face of Success

How do you define success? Success is a haunting word for some and a fleeting idea for others. And in the world of ministry, where heart transformation is the goal, it can often be difficult to measure. In this picture are the faces of nearly 40 campers and 1 dozen volunteers who made up the Northwest Soccer Camp.

By many standards of measurement this years camp was not a success, but a failure. First, this years attendance was less that 50% of last years attendance (40 down from 90). Second, we lost money running the camp this year. Third, we had no kids respond to the gospel invitation (compared with 7 last year). What I'm saying is that numbers were down. And I honestly struggled with that. I lost sleep over that...because I don't want to be a failure.

And interestingly enough my antidote was draped across my back. That was where this year's camp slogan was placed on our t-shirts, which read: "SUCCESS = ATTITUDE + ABILITY". We used that slogan to challenge the campers with the 3 keys to a successful attitude. Maybe my focus on the camp numbers was the source of my dour attitude. So lets look at the situation from a different angle.

We did have 40 kids who not only learned soccer but were challenged with biblical truths about successful attitudes. I wonder what seeds were planted in their hearts that might have an exponential return in the future. We did have 16 kids who had never been to our church before. I wonder how the hearing of the gospel now will affect them down the road. And don't let me forget the 2 dozen volunteers who spent their free time and vacation time to pull this off. What impact will their selfless investment have on them and the kids into whom they poured themselves.

When I look into the faces of this picture that I see people, not numbers. And it is hard to see failure when you invest in people. Because God cares about people, we must focus on the people whom he allows us to serve, not focusing on those whom we don't.

No comments: