8.31.2006

When heaven comes down

What’s the deal with heaven? We rarely think of it. We want to go there, or at least not to hell. But we have our whole life ahead of us. We have dreams we want to fulfill. We want a spouse, a house, and some kids. Guys have adventures to tackle, mountains to climb or promotions to earn. Chicklets want spa days to enjoy, romantic dinners to share or to start their own business. With all of these dreams yet unfulfilled, where is the room to long for the after-life? Of course we want heaven, but at a much more convenient time…translation – after I’ve lived a full life.

The Bible speaks of the eternal state as New Heavens and New Earth populated by New People (Rev. 21 & Rom 8). Along with these things which God reforms or restores to perfection there will be the absence of some old and familiar things.

He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning nor crying nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away. Revelation 21:4

No tears, no death, no suffering, no pain.

Maybe that is the key. The reason we don’t long for the next life is because this life has not yet come in contact with pain and loss. Maybe that is why the apostles spoke longingly of heaven, they suffered….alot. Maybe that is why old people long for heaven…they’ve lost all their friends and many family members and their bodies are decaying. Maybe that is why the parents who have lost an infant long for heaven, because death and mourning is a reality to them.

If you have suffered, wept, lost or tasted the bitterness of death your longing for rest will be realized. Charlie Hall captures this longing beautifully in a recent song.

Come For Me

Jesus come take me away,
I long to see your face
This world is broken yet beautifully made,
Jesus come take me away,

Jesus today I am tired,
I need your music to come and inspire
I give myself to be refined in this fire,
But Jesus today I’m so tired,

You’ll come again with a shout,
Like a thief in the night you’ll come riding on clouds
Finally the voice I have followed for life
Has a glorious face that is lit up with light
And you’ll come for me,
no more pain, peace,
no more fear, release,
just lost and consumed with my glorious King,

No comments: