8.21.2006

John Maxwell rethinks ministry

I was reading the Sept/Oct 2006 Rev. Magazine today and came across an interview with John Maxwell. He was a pastor for 25 years, then made the jump to corporate leadership training, by spearheading Injoy. His answer to one question in particular sparked my interest...

Q: What would you do differently if you were starting (pastoring) over today?

A: I'd have a lot less church; I'd have less programs; I'd have less services. I'd have a lot less of everything....one of my major mistakes was thinking that life revolved around the local church and what we were doing... If I had it to do over again, I'd have people doing a lot more ministry outside the church, in their workplace or in their community or in their volunteer organizations. I'd find out where they had the greatest influence and make their ministry where their greatest influence was, not confine it to a church.

What if we did that?
What if everyone invested time ("had a ministry") outside their church?
How would ministry outside the church affect the life of the church?

To read the rest of John Maxwell's comments....

1 comment:

clayburkle said...

Great observations Andy.
Certainly the church should be a place of intimate community. I believe that and I think John Maxwell does too.

What I think he warning against is becoming so immersed in Christian sub-culture that we are separated from the rest of the world.

What we need is balance... a good healthly involvement in Christian community and a good healthy involvement with "outsiders" to the faith.