1.04.2008

Toppers & Name-Droppers

2008 Resolution #1: I resolve not to be a topper or a name-dropper.
*excuse me while I humor myself*

I've spent my fair share of time around toppers & name-droppers... and at times I've even tried to beat them at their own game. But I've finally decided that these types are quite annoying and so I will resolve to abstain from such behavior for the next 365 days.

I'm sure you've seen them. Toppers are the type of people who always have to "top" your story by their own... which of course is always superior and leaves you basking in their glory. They would say something like... "Oh... nice job on finishing your first marathon... I finished my first in 2002, my second in 2003 and my third in 2004."

Name-droppers are pretty self explanatory. They love to build their reputation by claiming to be close personal friends with a very well-known celebrity... and reminding you of that regularly at the weirdest times. They might respond to the comment "Dude gas prices are up to $3.03"... with a response like this... "yah the last time gas prices were this high, was the summer when I was up in Long Island spending time with Calvin Klein at his summer house."

Not that these people are evil or dangerous to society... but I do find such behavior unbecoming. My take is that toppers... like themselves too much and name-droppers... don't like themselves enough.

Toppers can't just enjoy your story because they believe that theirs is better and thus they are in some way better. Name-droppers feel so insignificant that they have to prop up their self-worth within someone else's reputation. Like I said... they aren't evil... just a bit needy.

To my topping and name-dropping friends... I STILL LOVE YOU... and wish you a happy 2008. This post is targeted at no one in particular... just the generically nasty habits mentioned here. PS - Do not lump my good friend Ted into the name-dropping category... It has been confirmed that he IS a personal friend of Randy Alcorn.

4 comments:

Ted Williams said...

Clay, Clay, Clay...
First--you're a dork. I still love you.
Second--Last week, while spending time with my good friends from the band U2 (perhaps you've heard of them), we were discussing my third point.
Third--you're a dork. I still love you.
Fourth--Randy's last name is Elrod, not Alcorn.

jaybrams said...

the worst are the ones that are both toppers and name-droppers... usually at the same time

clayburkle said...

Jay... that takes true talent - or extreme egotism. It is a fine line.

REO Guy said...

Clay-
Great to see you back, now I am the slacker trying to catch up. So what am I? Topper/dropper or more along the lines of what your boys call you (dork)?lol....

xoxo,
coach daugherty aka blue cheese line sean