3.29.2006

Feedback

The camp has long since ended and life in the real world has already begun. But for many pictures like these will conjure up fond memories of fun. The real world doesn't always offer us feedback on our performance, but if you haven't figured it out by now "English Camp" is not the real world. One proof is that English Camp ends with feedback. As our team took a 2 hour train-ride to Tallin I eagerly poured through the 80-100 feedback forms.

I wanted to know what the students thought about the camp, about Christianity and of course the speaker. There is nothing like some good honest feedback to keep you humble. So I thought I would share just a few comments that I came across from the students who were at the same English Camp.

On the speaker one student wrote..."Clay's voice was calming and ade me sleepy sometimes, but otherwise he was great." I yawned just reading that.

Another offered, "Clay's talks seemed compulsory and no fun at all." Ouch!

A few pages later a student wrote, "Clay's talks...lots of fun there." Were they at the same camp?

"In the second day my abs were hurting because of smiling".

One student answered that their favorite thing in camp was "Twister."

Some comments were brutally honest like:
"It was interesting for e because I am anot a Christian but I had a chance to ask many questions, so I think I have a lot to think about."

and "I learnend that I'll never believe in God and that talking about Christianity doesn't bother me anymore."

I appreciate the honest feedback from the students. Sometimes a bit of honesty is quite refreshing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well i think the people who said that you were boring are so tottaly WRONG...you were great and the things you said were either really funny or something that made me think a lot. THANK YOU! I really learned a lot from you, even though i didn't talk to you that much.

clayburkle said...

Maret,
People are entitled to their opinion, just as you are. I certainly like to hear good things, like all that you said, but I also appreciate it when people can share some constructive criticism. I'm glad that something I said either made you laugh or think.

clayburkle said...

CK,
You might be on to something. The balance of truth and love is line that followers of Christ walk. Saying nice things to each other all the time doesn't help us to grow or improve as people. There is some wisdom in the biblical proverb "Wounds from a sincere friend are better than many kisses from an enemy." (Proverbs 27:6) I hope we are all surrounded by some sincere friends who will take the risk of wounding us once in a while.

Anonymous said...

Well, if I had something to tell you that was wounding and true, I'd blurt it out right about now, since the invitation is rather open... :) but, as I have nothing, I'll just say that I'm glad you and the whole team is back safely and I can't wait to hear more about the trip!