2.26.2007

Expecting Easter

I am expecting Easter unlike any year before. This is largely due to the fact that I am participating, as best as I know how, in this season of Lent (see previous post). I didn't go to an Ash Wednesday service but I listened to this one (go to Ash Wed. service) by Troy Hatfield. It did the trick for me. I've never done this before, so I don't know if I am following all the rules, but here is how it looks for me.

I have left some things behind. They are simple foods that I generally eat or drink without needing, but I really like them. I give them up for this season, so that when the urge arises I am reminded of what Christ gave up for me. It is a physical reminder that I am in a special season of the year and it turns my thoughts expectantly towards what God through Christ accomplished in the Easter event.

I have picked up some new things. I have rearranged my prayer and Bible reading time especially for this season. The daily Scriptures readings I am following speaks specifically to the deliverance that God offers to his people as they return from exile. The culmination of this deliverance is the total deliverance that is offered in Christ. It fills my heart and mind with God's Words in a fresh and targeted way for this season. Here is a taste of todays reading:

Your unfailing love is better than life itself;
how I praise you!
I will praise you as long as I live,
lifting up my hands to you in prayer.
You satisfy me more than the richest feast.
I will praise you with songs of joy.
Psalm 63:3-5 (NLT)

No comments: