2.21.2007

Lent

I have never observed Lent. I did not grow up in church tradition which suggested it. I have often considered it a weird ritual at best and a dead ritual at worst. But this was all due to my own ignorance.

As I understand it, it is a 40 day preparation for Easter that begins on Ash Wednesday (TODAY). It includes some sort of fast for the purpose of "leaving something behind" like the Israelites on the eve of the Exodus. In addition extra time is spent in prayer and bible reading.

I see this as a valuable asset in my own relationship with Jesus Christ. I think it will add to the expectancy of Easter and will allow for a time of self-reflection and purging.

The observation of Lent is a growing trend in young evangelical churches.

Mark Batterson (from National Community Church) observes it and suggests that it helps to practice I Corinthians 6:12-13: "Everything is permissible for me--but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible for me--but I will not be mastered by anything."

Mars Hill Bible Church has some great resources including reflective questions and a Lenten reading schedule. They suggest that the church has an opportunity to respond to God's invitaton in Joel 2:12 to "Come back to me, with all your heart."

The journey begins today.

No comments: