9.05.2007

17 years to GRACE

Grace is experienced in relationships. It is not something coldly received off a shelf or in a letter. It is personal. It is intimate. It is most alive when face-to-face. Here is a true story of grace....

In the summer of 1990 something happened in my church that became quite a traumatic experience in my life. It didn't exactly happen to me... just around me... but it had a huge impact upon my life. At the end of that summer I went off to college and slowly stuffed the experience further in the back of my mind. It was not resolved... the situation had not improved... damage was done... but life went on.

Then a few years ago I quite randomly bumped into one of the individuals who was at the epicenter of that situation. Immediately my life's story turned back to that unfinished chapter... and with it all the hurt and confusion and misunderstanding came to the surface. I was quite ignorant as to many of the facts about the original situation... but was quite in touch with how they had affected me. I did not know what to do... so I avoided this individual... and tried to avoid dealing with the situation... content to leave that chapter of my life in the suspense of an unresolved conflict...

But God had another plan. Earlier this summer I once again bumped into that same individual... but something in me was different. My life experience encouraged me to pursue closure to this situation. So I didn't not avoid the individual... in fact I did just the opposite... I initiated conversation. Nothing was solved... but the ice was broken.

Then a few months later when I again bumped into this individual (are you seeing a pattern) I asked for a breakfast meeting. We met and I... for the first time opened the pages of my life back to the summer of 1990 and invited the individual to walk through the situation with me.

I needed to understand the situation more fully... and he needed to walk me through it. I needed to ask some questions... and he needed to delicately answer. I need to hear an apology... and he needed to receive my forgiveness. But most of all... we both needed to experience grace. We needed to understand one another to lovingly help each other move on with life... a progress that could only happen in the midst of grace. So after 17 years we did... we experienced grace.

That day our relationship was reconciled (2 Cor 5:18) and as two men who have been forgiven much by our heavenly father ... we were able to grant one another a much smaller degree of forgiveness(Matt 18:21-35).

I've come to believe that my life is a story... about redemption. The characters and the tragedies and the conflicts allow for the master storyteller to work out his redemption in my story... and to ultimately redeem my story. And redemption involves the often painful, face-to-face discussions in which grace is worked out.

No comments: