3.27.2007

the games we play...

We had a Sunday night tradition in my family, when I was growing up. Sunday Night became Family Night. The night started with a family devotion, where my dad tried to get me and my brother and my sister interested in some Bible passage and the deeper truth which it was teaching. We learned to deal with the devotion, because we knew what was coming afterwards. Games!

Our favorite family game was the board game SORRY. I still think it is the best board game ever. But not until recently did I read the tag-line for Sorry... you know the second title of the game that describes what it is all about. Yah. So the tag-line for Sorry is "the game about sweet revenge." No wonder I loved this game as a kid (and still do)... because I love getting revenge. Don't you?

So recently in a staff meeting we were kicking around some creative ways to approach an upcoming series. Someone threw out the idea of "the games people play". After a short brainstorm (which is a minor miracle) we all loved it. We love it because we all love playing games.

We also love it because we love the metaphor of "playing games" in life, in faith, and in church. You know at one level our "games" are innocent and fun... sort of like Sorry. But at a deeper level there are some core heart issues involved like jealousy, revenge, fear, control. We hope that this upcoming series is a fun way to get beyond the colorful dice and play money... and get to the deeper heart issues that end up destroying ourselves and others.

"It is what comes from inside that defiles you.
For from within, out of a person's heart,
come evil thoughts

sexual immorality
theft
murder
adultery
greed
wickedness
deceit
lustful desires
envy
slander
pride
and foolishness.

All these vile things come from within;
they are what defile you."


-Jesus

So what games do you find yourself playing?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I wonder if we should just combine our blogs. Our thoughts often run side by side don't they? I would say the whole "make nice" is often a game I play. Smoothing things over when on the inside, that is not what's going on. It's what Casting Crowns talked about in "Stain Glass Masquerade".

"Would it set me free, if I dared to let you see, the truth behind the person that you imagine me to be? Would your arms be open, would you walk away? Would the love of Jesus be enough to make you stay?"

Mercyme said it like this-

"I hope you stare just long enough to see. The heart that's beating here inside of me. Beyond all of the things you may think you know, I'm just a kid trying to make it home. Nothing more, nothing less."

I wonder sometimes if our greatest games take place in the halls on Sunday morning as we make the appearance that our lives and our worlds are just on cruise control. They aren't but we certainly don't want to appear that way.

Looking forward to hearing more about the upcoming series.

clayburkle said...

A, If we combined I would gain all your readership and you would be bogged down by my rants. Keep using your influence.

I am amazed at your music, knowledge. I know too few songs and barely any Christian ones.