3.19.2007

Sex and Singleness

Let's talk sex. Many of young men and women which I am surrounded by are single. And these young adults need to talk sex because God has wired us all to desire it... mentally, physically and emotionally.

I did not not get married until I was 29 and thanks to God was able to remain a virgin until then. But in my 20's when my sex drive was kicking into overdrive my desire to for physical intimacy seemed to war against my desire to draw near to God. My 20's were a cycle of purity, sin, guilt and repentance in this area of sexual purity. But as one of my favorite pastor's has said Purity paves the way to intimacy. So out of service to my single friends here are some great tips from John Piper on how to fight for sexual purity.

10 Tips for Sexual Purity:

1. Do not seek regular sexual gratification through masturbation.
2. Do not seek sexual satisfaction through touching or being touched by another person.
3. Avoid unnecessary sexual stimulation.
4. When the stimulation comes and the desire starts to rise, perform a very conscious act of transfer onto Christ.
5. Pray that God would give you, in ever-increasing strength, a longing to know and love and obey him above all else.
6. Bathe your mind in God's Word.
7. Keep yourself busy.
8. Don't spend too much time alone.
9. Strive to think of all people, especially people of the opposite sex, in relation to eternity.
10. Resolve to seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and he will add to you everything you need sexually.

For more of Piper's help, read the entire article.

1 comment:

clayburkle said...

It has been 12 years. I love the connecting power of the internet. Thanks for stopping by and reconnecting Ted.