10.03.2005

If in doubt Jesus

So it's Sunday afternoon and I get to ask Caden, our 2 1/2 year old, one of my favorite questions. Well there are actually lots of questions that I like to ask him, even when I know what he is going to say. For example, I love to ask him how his sleep was at breakfast. And every time he answers, "good" while banana bread crumbs come tumbling onto the table and the floor. And then I like to ask him how his banana bread is. And yep, once again he comes up with his rote answer, "good." He's said "good" to both of those questions for months now, but I just love asking him just to hear him say it again.

So it's Sunday afternoon and I'm back to one of my favorite questions, probably the one that every parent asks there kid after bringing them home from Church. You might have heard it yourself, "Who did you learn about in church today." Caden looks at me and says confidently....J-E-S-U-S. I like the answer, but it's not true, because when I picked him up from his class his teacher was quizzing each toddler as they left. "Who built the ark?" And when each student chimed in "NOAH" they would receive an animal sticker. So I smile and I try to draw right answer out of Caden. "Noooo....who did you learn about today?" He thinks, then goes to answer #2...."G-O-D." Good answers, but his little 2 1/2 year old mind can't quite remember the mantra of the day "Noah built an ark."

But I'm a lot more like my son that I think. I can come and go to church and often the only thing that sticks is a hallmark card-like stanza about Jesus or God. Lacking is an appetite for a full course meal of truth. Missing is a zealous passion for morsels of truth that will propel me into a week of reckless abandon in serving my Savior. Invisible is a man broken by his sin, coming to the cross to wash himself in forgiveness of Cross and bask in the GLORY of "I AM". Absent is the conviction of the Holy Spirit that my comfortable life is a far cry from the kingdom lifestyle that I've been empowered to experience. And I know it's me that is distracted not Him. Lord, Awake in me an honesty and humility that is zealous for YOU

No comments: