10.11.2005

Tears of Joy

I had a pretty average day yesterday. I felt quite productive in the office, studying, administrating, planning and composing. But in the back of my mind was a responsibility that I had and that I am still getting used to....hospital visitation. Part of pastoral work is comforting people in time of need. I have often been comforted by some quite godly and gifted men and women in my own time of need. But I feel quite unprepared for the task. It is a good thing, when someone gifted in mercy and compassion is able empathize and encourage someone with great need. But I often feel that my portion of these gifts pales in comparison to others around me.

There appears the great pressure to do and say the perfect thing to relieve hurt from the individual or to point them to the greater spiritual lesson of the moment. How long do you stay? How do you pray? When do you counsel? What do you say? These thoughts flooded my mind as I drove to the hospital to visit someone much older and wiser than I was, so that I could comfort them. (Who would comfort me?) I dismissed these questions and strolled confidently into the room.

For 30 minutes we shared pleasant conversation and they put me at ease with their calm demeanor. I felt no expectations heaped upon me, just the simplicity of gratitude for a few minutes of my time. Before I left I held the hand of the man I was visiting and prayed a simple prayer for him. Then as I looked into his eyes to say goodbye I noticed a tear falling down his cheek. Nothing profound had occurred. I had offered no counsel and actually had talked very little. But we spent time together, just talking, and we prayed together. Sometimes being is more important than doing.

No comments: