10.31.2005

Trick-or-Treat

On October 31, my neighborhood comes to life. Nearly all the houses have their lights turned on and most everyone comes out to happily meet passers-by. In addition to the people sitting on their porches with goodies for the neighborhood, there are the kids who are dressed up and excitedly going house to house to support their sugar fix. It is the one day of the year that I feel like I actually live in Mayberry. I meet neighbors who've moved in but I haven't taken the time to meet yet. And tonight some of our neighbors came up the idea to schedule our first neighborhood progressive dinner. Halloween is actually one of the few reasons neighborhoods have of actually coming to life and interacting as neighbors. Maybe we should do this more often. This year we followed our little "Cowboy Woody" house-to-house while we carried a "Lion." We came across some houses that were dark and I paused, thinking "too bad that these folks missed a great opportunity to meet the neighbors."

Before I put Caden to bed he wanted to read the story of Daniel & the Lions den in his Bible. After we read the story I prayed silently that God would prepare him to be a good neighbor. That he would care about his neighbors and be involved in their lives. That he would trust in God, boldly, as Daniel had and that his love for his neighbor would overflow from his love for God.

No comments: