11.13.2006

Caden's Masterpiece

Yesterday when I finally returned home after a ministry lunch I was approached by my 3 year old son, Caden. It appears that he had been drawing while I was out and had made a special picture for me. He said, "Daddy I want to give it to you and don't lose it"... isn't it supposed to be me who does the life coaching? Oh well...when I looked at it I was quite impressed, because this is the first picture he has drawn with arms and legs. After gloating over his "masterpiece" I asked him who it was and he thought for a moment and offered "Cowboy Woody." So Cowboy Woody it is.

You know, at 3 1/2, I see that he is growing up. He is drawing pictures with legs on them. He wears underwear and can pee standing up. He can almost brush his own teeth and has a great way of making little babies laugh. He can speak in whole sentences and knows how to use a computer mouse. He's growing up. But I can stop time when I look at this picture. It is a freeze frame of where he is right now. So I cherish it and thank him and look forward to what he will draw next.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you have not already heard it, check out the song "Water Color Ponies" by Wayne Watson. You can borrow it if you want. Talk about hitting home! He talks about the messy water color pictures on his refridgerator door and how they will soon be gone. The chorus says

"Baby what will we do, when it comes back to me and you? They look a little less like little boys everyday. Oh the pleasure of watching the children growing is mixed with the bitter cup of knowing the water color ponies will one day....ride away."

Basket case the first time I heard it! It is a bitter cup. Gotta hold on while we can.