11.05.2006

Click

Last week my wife and I finally watched the recent Adam Sandler movie Click. Any Happy Madison production is going to include its fair share of toilet humor, sexual inuendos and adolescent jokes and Click did not stray far from the formula. But I got more than I bargained for, I emotionally connected with the story.

I’m no film critic, but I know when I find a story that I can identify with and characters with whom I empathize. In the story Sandler’s character is busy climbing the corporate ladder, for the purpose of providing a “better life for his family”. He finds himself regularly having to choose between family and work. It’s funny the very family he is leaving to work to provide a better life for, just wants more of him not of this “life” he wants to provide.

The conflict in the story is that he finds a way to fast forward through the fights and the boring dinners…basically through life. And then he is laying on his deathbed realizing that he has lost his dad, his wife and his kids.

It really got me thinking about the most important relationships in my life, the people with whom I am the closest and whom I don’t want to fast forward through…. my wife and my two boys. I believe that my time with them is a gift, but honestly I don’t always treat it that way. Like when I get frustrated with the boys making messes or not going sleep or *gulp* wanting to play with me while I’m watching the game. And I often take my wife for granted and don’t cherish her or the time we have together.

I shed a few tears that night as I contemplated the possibility of not being able to spend time with my favorite people in the world. I don’t want to give my wife and kids the leftovers; they deserve more of me NOW.

He who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the LORD. Proverbs 18:22

Children are a gift from the LORD; they are a reward from him. Psalm 127:3

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Right on brother. I don't know that there is a day that goes by when I don't look at my 3 little one's and wonder where it went. I have not seen this movie yet, but if your post is accurate, I am sure I will be a train wreck afterwards! Thanks for the reminder this week.