11.14.2006

Shawn McDonald and Vomit

This has got to be a great post with that title right? Well I hope it lives up to your expectations. It was just another night in my average life. I got to go see Shawn McDonald last night with a few friends (Cory, Sean & Ed). He was playing at Bethel Presbyterian. I really enjoyed the show, although I don't know his new stuff. The band seemed tired after 3 months of traveling and it showed. At one point Shawn even apologized for coming across as ...well, tired.

My favorite song wash HUSH. He set it up by saying that he grew up fatherless and lived with grandparents. But that even his grandpa was never around. He seemed to choke up a bit as he told the story, betraying the pain that he has felt for not knowing a Father. The song talked about a fatherless boy's struggle to relate to a fatherly God. Sort of like Don Miller who thought having a dad was like owning a dragon, read my thoughts here.

I was reflecting on my boys and how much I love being a Dad. Many things clamor for my attention, but few compare with my relationship with them. Because I realize how powerful a father-son relationship is. It will propel them onto manhood or suck every ounce of manhood out of them. Dad's do you realize that? Don't cheat your sons by pursuing things for you. The money isn't worth it. Your reputation isn't worth it. Your achievements aren't worth it, if they rob your boys (and girls) of you. Others can do your job, but no one can be a father to your sons.

So I arrive home with this epiphany of love for my boys. Griffin is sick so I go upstairs to give him medicine and he proceeds to puke up a tummy full of milk. I strip his sheets, change his jammies, feed him juice, comfort him and lay him down. I head down stairs and every ounce of my being wanted to sit on the couch, read the sports page and watch the news... but I looked at his puke covered sheets and jammies... and fatherhood kicked in. Instead of focusing on me I scrubbed out his sheets and put me on the backburner. That is what dad's do.

And I thought that is what God does with us, over and over again. We constantly vomit all over ourselves and he stoops to clean us up, change our clothes and tuck us back into bed... because he is our Father.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just started reading Blue Like Jazz this week (thanks Christian Books!!). I am only about 2 pages in and already see him making the dotted lines between his faith a fatherless home. It took me all of about 10 seconds after Austin was born to learn unconditional love (Emma and Brynn too). Over the past 6 years, the lessons never end. There is not one time, one lesson or one thing I have had to teach my children that I didn't turn my eyes heavenward and say...okay, I get it now.

You are right on with this and your Click post. Finding the balance between providing and missing opportunities you will never get back is very, very hard to discern. The good thing is knowing we are at least evaluating the option. I spent lunch today with a co-worker that admitted he is on the career track. His children seemed a distraction of his higher aspirations. Sad, but true and common.

You are painting the right house brother.