11.13.2006

God hears

This morning at 4am I awoke to the cries of our 2 year old, Griffin. He normally sleeps like a log (thankfully) but he has been sick for a day. I shot up and went in to his room to check on him. He was on-fire, as in really warm. I told my wife...and we went into action. She went into his room to comfort him while I ran downstairs to get the medicine and his milk. I returned to give him the milk and mom the medicine. He slurped them both down, then I took them back downstairs while my wife tucked him in. We were both back in bed in just minutes. It was true teamwork. And it all started because parents hear the cry of their children.

If you are a parent you know that is true... you hear the cry of your kids. If you are a kid you know that is true... because your parents heard your cry. And it reminded me of a biblical truth that I heard in a Rob Bell sermon recently, that God always hear the cry of those who are oppressed.

Now if you ever are in situations of suffering or oppression that is a truth that will comfort you. Remember what God said to Moses before delivering his children out of Egypt...

I have surely seen the affliction of my people who are in Egypt and have heard their cry because of their taskmasters. I know their sufferings, and I have come down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians and to bring them up out of that land (Exodus 3:7-8)

Egypt was the place where the children of God suffered and were oppressed. If you ever find yourself in Egypt... where you are personally taken advantage of or oppressed. Where you are maligned or pushed out to the fringes. Where you are disregarded or discouraged. Know that you are not alone and that God always hears the cry of those who are oppressed.

God is a loving heavenly father who wants to rescue us from our own Egypts and to restore us to a place of wholeness and health. If you will cry out to him he will send a deliverer to redeem and repair you, because he is a father and he cares for you as a child.

No comments: