11.20.2006

The Dome of Heaven

I have never been to the Sistene Chapel (pictured) but I bet it would be breathtaking. This weekend I did go a catholic wedding with full catholic mass in Chicago. I paid close to attention to the prayers and homily by the priest and was encouraged by the truth about God and marriage that I heard. I can be quite critical of other pastors efforts, I guess that makes me feel better about myself. The worst wedding I ever attended was at this small baptist church in the country.

But this church in Chicago was ornately decorated, I mean beautiful. I did find myself following the different story lines that were portrayed in the artwork. At one point the priest noted that we were gathering in God's presence under the dome of heaven. I looked up and saw a dome at the top of the church. In the center was Christ, around him were angels and under them were pictures of the saints. The priest said something like, "we are gathered under the dome of heaven just as this architecture reminds us that we are joined today by God his angels and a cloud of witnesses."

I rather liked that thought, and since I am quite a visual guy I appreciated that the architecture of the building did paint a picture of the reality that God, his angels and his saints are witnesses to our living out the Christian story until the consummation of time. It made me think of Hebrews 12:1-3

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted.

No comments: