1.10.2007

Letting Go

After wearing holes in the back right pocket of two pairs of nice pants and tiring of the heckles of some who saw the size of my wallet I am turning over one new leaf this year. I am taking the advice of family (wife) and friends (Matt) who think my wallet is too big and cumbersome and I am down-sizing to a cute money clip.

You can see for yourself that over the years I have become quite capable of filling my back right pocket with lots of "necessary" items. But as I worked my way through the wallet, I noticed that the items were parts of my identity that I had compiled over the years. They were not simply pieces of plastic but layers of my identity. So shedding them not only will save my pants and maybe my back, but in a sense is stripping my ego of certain status symbols.

Here are a few of the items that were in the wallet, but didn't make it to the clip:

  • social security card: never needed it, I've got it memorized
  • Student ID card from Dallas Seminary: that thing cost me 4 years of my life
  • frequent flyer cards: from my previous life as traveling salesman
  • Avis Member Card: not only salesman, but National Account Manager
  • local Library Card: have used it once in 3 years
  • ATM card: I have sworn off cash and am all plastic

I must say, sitting is a lot more comfortable these days!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Man! That is a wallet if I have ever seen one! Hilarious. Love the pics in the sidebar. Good to have you back. You've been busy!!