1.16.2007

Mad about the Buckeyes

After the BCS Championship game I was mad. Mad about the Buckeyes… because when it comes to the Bucks I’m a Superfan. Da Buuuuuucks!. Mad at Florida, mad at the SEC, mad at Urban Meyer, mad at the Buckeyes. My blood was boiling…my pulse was high… I couldn’t sleep until 2am. Sometimes I get mad about the buckeyes. And I’m not alone… we often get mad about the strangest things, don’t we. For some its sports, for others its traffic, and for others it’s waiting 5 minutes in line at the grocery store.

The things that move us to place of deep emotions are quite powerful things if you think about it. Think about the things that make you mad… or sad… or guilty… or happy. Are they silly little things like sports or do they have some social value like racism. The things that move us to the place of strong emotion are powerful things… whether they are silly or weighty.

And if you think about it we are probably defined by the things that move us. We are defined as shallow people or deep people… as selfish people or generous people… as thoughtful or flaky… by the things that move us to emotion. They define us.

Consider what moved Jesus…
Jesus became angry when merchants desecrated the temple of God
And Jesus entered the temple and drove out all who sold and bought in the temple, and he overturned the tables of the money-changers and the seats of those who sold pigeons. Matthew 21:12

Jesus was moved to compassion by the physical and spiritual needs of a neglected people
When he went ashore he saw a great crowd, and he had compassion on them and healed their sick. Matthew 14:14

I hate some of silly things that feed my anger or joy, because they are small or petty or simple things. In the end they reveal how shallow I can be, for in the end they are meaningless pursuits. It’s ok to be a Superfan… as long as it does not define us. Life is too precious to be defined by such simple things.

No comments: