5.20.2007

Race for a Cure

On Saturday my boys and I walked a mile for Breast Cancer. We took part in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. I would never have done it, if it had not been a for a girl in my ministry at church who put Team Joy together in support of her mom... a survivor. So we joined the 125 people of Team Joy and the other 37,276 participants for the festivities.

My boys were excited to be a part of their first "race"... and were quite proud of the 38 minute mile pace that we completed. Not to mention how cool it was to wear race numbers.

I read some interesting stats in today's write-up in the Dispatch:

  • The Columbus race raised $2 million
  • The Columbus race is the 10th largest in the US.
  • Columbus has the 4th highest mortality rate from Breast Cancer.
  • 28 of 100,000 white women die of the illness.
  • 38 of 100,000 black women die of the illness.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to see a father spending quality time with his sons.

clayburkle said...

Thanks John,
Not only was it quality (& quantity time) together... but I want to show them how to give quality time to others and quality causes.