5.21.2007

Pastors NEED Vacation

Not long after I posted earlier today on Taking a Day Off, I watched Ed Young's Monday Morning Pastors confessional. He appears really tired. Not only does he seem have the typical Monday weariness but he appears to have been running too - hard too long.

He repeatedly asks "How can you build a marriage when...." and then he fills in the blank with all the things that pastors pour themselves out doing... studying... teaching... fund-raising... I can only imagine that his wife has looked him in the face on more than one occasion and said... "When are we going to have our time?" It is not that a pastor's wife does not support her husband... but part of her calling is keep him grounded.

I think in his early Monday Morning weariness we get a honest look at the roller coaster that our pastors ride. So don't only make sure that you get your break... but make sure that those who care for your soul get their break.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Sounds like you are just whining to me because you forgot your lines during baptism yesterday...

Abigail's dad was a pastor long ago and she has told me many stories of "pastoral burn-out". You are to important to our church's ministry to let that happen.

I authorize you to go to Cedar Point.

Right now.

Stop reading this and go...

:)

clayburkle said...

Mike,
Will I ever live down the "forgotten line" in the baptism. I deserve a day off after that.