5.23.2007

the power of words

Words can give life… lift-up… heal… encourage… deliver… create. God spoke and things became. He gave life... with his words. And we… in his image... can give life... with our words.

Gracious words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body. -Proverbs 16:24

Words can kill… cut down… dismantle… pierce… destroy. When God finally judges… he will speak... and it will be done. We on the other had must realize that our words... if used improperly... can wreak havoc.

Reckless words pierce like a sword... -Proverbs 12:18

I’ve been reflecting lately on some people in my life whose gracious words have been sweet to me like a honeycomb.

In my wife’s life I think of Andrea. She is such a thoughtful person. Over the past few years she has written a number of encouraging notes to my wife that have built her up. She understands the power of words and takes her time to build into someone else. She may never understand what a huge effect her words have had. Her thoughtfulness and her words have given life to my wife.

In my life I think of Denny. He has bit by bit, hour by hour invested in my life over the years. He has walked in my shoes and journeyed with me over the years. He understands my stresses, my pressures, my weaknesses and my strengths. He regularly brings a fresh perspective to any situation which I bring to him. In one of our recent discussions he opened the Bible and spoke its truths and promises to me. He took my hand and put in the hand of the Lord… when I didn’t have the strength to do it myself. He put wind in my sails… he gave me hope… he breathed life into me.

Words are powerful. Who is in your life? Who gives you life… or at least that needed boost?

No comments: