5.15.2007

When God Speaks

My family had the opportunity to get away this weekend. It involved visiting a different church and its nice to go to a place once in a while where I am anonymous and can just soak in the experience like everyone else. This past Sunday God spoke to me. Some of you know what I am talking about. It was one of those unmistakable times when my heart was pierced by the word of God. And I am still recovering from it. It was like the pastor was just talking to me. My spirit quivered and I knew that God was speaking to me.

The preacher spoke on being holy from 1 Peter 1:13-16:

Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ. As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, since it is written, "You shall be holy, for I am holy."

I was challenged to pursue God's holiness. God holiness means that he is perfect and set apart. And for me that means pursuing perfection and pursuing purity. The challenge was to realize our positional holiness and pursue a practical holiness... not one or the other.

How we do this comes right from the text. It flows from a controlled mind and a hope fueled on eternal rewards.

To be honest I've been a bit on cruise lately. My mind has not been sharp and pointed in the best direction all the time. I've let anger and bitterness creep into my thinking about certain people and certain situations. I've gotten lazy about taking those thoughts captive to Christ. And I've placed too much of my hope on my temporal success or failure in certain situations instead of placing it the eternal inheritance resulting entirely on God's grace. My mind has strayed from the richness of the gospel and to things of lesser value.

I got punched in the gut this Sunday and I can't remain the same. Thanks for the wake-up call God. I will not remain the same.

No comments: