5.24.2007

words.... words... words...

I’m obsessed… with words. I’m not sure why, but I am hyper-sensitive to the power of words these days. I’m hanging on every word that I hear. I’m hearing conversations with new… sensitive… ears.

And the whole time I’m having this internal conversation… are those sweet words… why not? are those life-giving words… how come? All of life is this continual flow of conversations and chatter and words. Our life is words.

How I welcome my son in the morning…
What I say when I kiss my wife good-bye for the day…
An e-mail I type to a co-worker…
A phone call I make to my dad…

Words. They are as important as life and death. Seems strong I know. But it is true. Why do I say that? Because our words are a window into our heart.

Think about it. When you sit down with a close family member and share a problem. And the conversation that ensues is affirmative and encouraging and helpful… it comes from heart which is filled up with love for you. Their conversation shows the posture of their heart towards you. And that is a powerful thing.

In the Bible, Luke said… For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks…. our words flow out of the status… the condition… the pattern… the state of our heart.

Just before this he says… The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart.

Boy do I need help… because my words are not always good. They often come from reaction… fear… anger… pride… selfishness… ulterior motives…And why is that a big deal… because they reflect my heart.

And so I’m taking some instruction from something Solomon wrote in the Bible… Do not be quick with your mouth, do not be hasty in your heart to utter anything before God. God is in heaven and you are on earth, so let your words be few.

No comments: