7.19.2007

Perspective

I got a dose of perspective today. I had the chance to spend time with a friend of mine, Bill. He is actually old enough to be my grandfather... but we still call each other friends. And since I never really knew my own grandfathers... he sort of fills a bit of that role in my life.

Bill lost his wife, Faye, to alzheimers after a long battle. And strangely enough he likes to talk to me and lean on me for some sort of support. I honestly do not know what to say to make him feel better... so I normally just listen and tell him that I can see how much he loved her.

Today he shared that he often struggles with doubt... doubt about whether he did everything within his power to care for her. Tears welled in his eyes as he recounted some of the medical decisions that he made and he wondered if he had done the right thing.

Like I said... I normally listen... but today I shared some words of encouragement that God has been speaking to me lately. I said... Bill, God knows how much you love your wife and he doesn't want you to live with doubt about whether you did enough. He wants you take your pain to him... to trust him with your pain... and he will take that burden from you and will replace it with his peace.

He thanked me for encouraging him... and for my friendship... then apologized for taking too much of my time (which he didn't).

Bill shows me old hearts still break... that love goes beyond the grave... and that we are never too old to need friends we can talk to.

2 comments:

jaybrams said...

that is a cool (i.e.-manly way of saying "touching") story. thanks for sharing.

clayburkle said...

*grunt* *grunt* how 'bout them bears!