7.05.2007

Doubt

We excitedly started sharing the news with some friends last weekend. And don't you know it but everyone had a story about someone who had received the same news and it turned up being wrong.

So as the night wore on my wife's excitement slowly turned into doubt. It crept up like a storm cloud.... slowly.

Maybe they were right.

Maybe the doctor was wrong.

maybe.... maybe... maybe....

And the doubt stole her joy. Doubt can really have a devastating effect, can't it. It leads some to apathy... "I can't control the outcome so I won't do anything." It leads some to despair... "If this won't come true, then I can't go on." It leads some to control... "I will make this outcome happen, or die trying." How should we respond to doubt?

May I suggest to dependence upon God to control the things that we can't. This attitude says "God I'm not in control... you are. Here is what I want... but I'll accept what you give me." Jesus taught us to pray this way... Matt 6:9-13.

So how did we respond?... we got ourselves another sono. We went back in a few days later and had another doc... take another look... and to our joy... confirm the news... we're having a girl. Thank you God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are STILL thrilled it's a girl. Congratulations again!!