8.27.2007

The distracted church...

When in Huntington, I preached at the Crew and I had a blast. My message was titled "When the church becomes a distraction to Jesus." My burden is that churches often focus excessively on quality or size of their weekend service... to the detriment of creating a space where Jesus is on display. The issue is all about your heart and your motivation. But the result of giving in to these distractions can be spiritually disastrous.

I stumbled across a section of scripture where God warns his people against such distracting idolatry... Exodus 20:24-26. And I think it is a word from God that applies to the church today. Exodus 20:24b should be what the church is all about... In every place where I cause my name to be remembered I will come to you and bless you. Here are my notes.



















By the way... check out the write-up about my family that showed up in the Sunday morning bulletin. Only Josh could get away with this in church. I love this guy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Clay,
Karen here - sounds like you enjoyed your time in Huntington and their church sounds really relevant!
They just had a baptism here at our church in Cheat Lake - love those outdoor baptisms.
We are enjoying the church we found up here - Chestnut Ridge Church - I told Ted it is like attending an awesome Christian Rock concert every week. Its lots of fun being in a college town - it keeps everyone young - especially for old people like us!
It's great seeing your pictures on your blog - keep 'em coming.
Say hello to Christine for me and I will be praying for this time in your lives.

clayburkle said...

Karen Lane... in the blog-house... thanks for stopping by, saying hi, but most importantly for your prayers for our transition.