8.24.2007

My kinda church

Denny over at Joy in the Journey recently asked what kind of church are you looking for? It elicited some good feeback... I even popped off on a few desires. Then another friend Aaron pointed me to the below Mark Driscoll video.

And now I've settled in on my new answer... a two-fisted church. I have in the past few years begun to describe myself as theologically conservative and culturally liberal. Theologically conservative in view of the Bible and God and Christ and sin and salvation and ecclesiology (church structure). Culturally liberal in that you don't have rules (above the clear principles in Scripture) for every part of life that you lay on people like what to (or not to) wear, watch, listen to, eat, drink, etc. You allow people to utilize discernment to engage the culture for the purpose of displaying the beauty and transforming power of Christ.

1 comment:

clayburkle said...

I'm commenting on my own post... pretty lame huh. But after some reflection... my post is insider talk (to church folk).

What I undertstand and appreciate about the question Denny asked... is he asking outsiders (non-church folk). Now you don't craft your theology by such advice... but you really understand at a surface level why people don't go to church.