8.13.2007

Thanks Jen!!!!

I just had to give a shout out to Jennifer Burkitt. She used to be the preschool director at the church on which I was formerly a staff member. I say "used to" for two reasons... because I am no longer on staff and she is no longer on staff.

She told me that my last day was her last day as well. I want to honor her for investing her life in caring for our two boys and hundreds of others over the past 2 1/2 years. I know how much of her heart and her time that she poured into and prayed into each and every volunteer and kid that was involved in her ministry. She has a unique servants heart.

What she didn't know is that she was getting into what I think is the #1 burnout position in any church... preschool ministry. In my 5 years of ministry experience I have seen 3 out of 4 preschool ministry people burnout. Most often they don't burnout on Jesus... just on ministry.

Each story is similar. They start the ministry with great energy and passion and the dream of impacting kids and parents for Christ. But they often give too much... too often... and slowly get worn down. They are easy to take for granted and rarely get the recognition they deserve. They give until they are empty... yet don't have opportunities to step back and be filled.

They regularly don't have enough... not enough volunteers... not enough classrooms... and not enough resources to solve their own problems. After awhile they lose their joy and don't enjoy church. So they have to step away to reconnect with God and reconnect with church.

I mean seriously... when was the last time you wrote a thank you note to your preschool director or gave them a gift certificate for dinner-and-a-movie with their spouse. It doesn't happen. Out-of-sight = out-of-mind

So what can churches do to reverse the trend in preschool ministry director burnout:
1. Thank your preschool leaders profusely (publicly, privately, personally).
2. Listen to their needs, concerns, desires & dreams... and do something to improve their situation.
3. Give them breaks. If that means saying no to a childcare need to let them enjoy an adult activity, it is a small price to pay for increasing ministry longevity.

And I must end where I began. Thank you Jen Burkitt for caring and praying for our two boys over the last 2 1/2 years. Your heart for the Lord and love for ministry is genuine. God is not done with you yet. You have not quit. You have made a difference.

6 comments:

Happy Working Mom said...

The problem is it doesn't have to be the #1 burnout position within a church.

I believe the children's ministry (nursery through high school) is the most important. Jesus cherishes children...as should we. However, it doesn't appear that everyone feels that way, and it's sad. People tend to think that you send children away to play for 1 1/2 hours while the adults listen to the important stuff. If only they knew....

We had 3 children accept Jesus as their savior in our class this past year (and that's just the 3 I know about). You tell me that doesn't deserve just as much energy and resources as other areas in a church!

Jennifer - you did a wonderful job and I loved the energy you had! You truly cherished each and every child in there and understood that they are God's children first, and then they are ours. Thank you for allowing me to experience your energy and patience and forgiveness for the past two years.

Great post Clay!

clayburkle said...

Debbie,
You are right it doesn't have to be that way... but it takes lots of intentionality and energy to serve and protect these leaders from burnout.

It is people like you and John (tirelessly working week-in and week-out) that lighten the load.

Thanks for you investment in Caden's life. You are seeing the results of the ministry to preschool kids.

Anonymous said...

Interesting isnt it? How much "transition" has taken place at NW. Sometimes church is the entity and the true reason for Sundays is lost. Didn't Jesus say to the Pharisee that the Sabbath was made for man not the man for Sabbath. Ponder that for a moment. Sabbath -a day of rest- has become just another day of business (meant both ways). I sense that God is moving in the Church (big C - His body) and the little c better wake up or it will burn out like its volunteers.

Anonymous said...

I decided to check out the blog stuff...yes I am a little behind the times. I just want to say thank you. God will see us all through this transition.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this posting! I am the Preschool Ministry  Director at my church and it is TOUGH! We have nearly 10,000 in our congregation and it's just me, part-ti,e, with limited resources, trying to keep my head above water. I came across your blog google-ing for any and every idea to help me out. I love my job and my church family, but yes it is a demanding and challenging position. My spiritual health is a constant struggle, where it used to be so easy before (or so it seemed). I often feel "on the verge" of losing my position because I feel so disconnected with the rest of the church staff. But, I LOVE these kids, every one of them. And if I am in someway can be responsible of one child being saved, then all this is worth it. I love what happyworkingmom said "if only they knew.." If only!

clayburkle said...

Jen - I'm glad you had a chance to see this in print. Draw need to God and he will draw near to you (James 4:8).


Stacy74 - I understand first-hand the pressures on ministry families. I would encourage you to go to a trusted staff member and share some of the struggles you have... someone who can partner with you to help you avoid burnout and maintain your joy in your ministry.