8.23.2007

Does the end justify the means?

I need some input here. I want your feedback.

I've always heard it said that... the ends do not justify the means. Similarly my coaches would say... it doesn't matter if you win or lose it is how you play the game. I've always taken this to mean that there are some rules of engagement to [whatever] and living by them is more important than do otherwise just to get a desired result. Is that true or am I whack?

In life... in business... in relationships... in marriage... in church... in school. Does it really matter how you play the game... how you conduct yourself... how you carry out your business?

Is this just an old-wives tale... is it common sense... or is it wise biblical advice that you pass down your sons and daughters.

Please share your stories (success and failure)... your metaphors... and your sage advice.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is wise Biblical advice. I mean, of course I'm going to think of a teacher's answer:
You get an A on an assignment (ends) but you cheated to get it (means)=not cool and not right, right?
I don't know, I'm not a good deep/philosophical thinker...

clayburkle said...

Kristen, I love your teacher's answer. I even think if you are in a relationship say with a friend that is not healthy and you believe that you must end the relationship (end), that as a Christian the way in which you terminate the relationship matters (means).

As a Christian you should approach them with grace, love and truthfulness. I can't see how you would be justified to treat them poorly in the process (means) just because you have felt they have treated you wrong.

Pastor Kurt said...

Clay, you are absolutely right. And among the people of God, there is a long standing lament of means that do not produce desired ends. Consider the multitudes of prophets and apostles who preached righteousness (means) and suffered and were slain (end). Should they have not preached?

If I understand this rightly, then I believe two people can be doing the same exact thing, one is sinning and the other is worshipping; and the distinguishing factor is the motivation for doing said activity. After all, it's what comes out of the heart that defiles a man.

Perhaps there is more to your comment, but I have a point of tension with Christians who end relationships with folks. I am not sure how unhealthy that relationship would be to have to end it.

clayburkle said...

Kurt... Great thinking. I think you are getting to the heart of the matter... the heart (motivations).

I like your slant and agree that we should do everything within our power to live at peace and in relationship even with those that we disagree with.

In abusive situations (sexual, verbal, spiritual, etc.) I might suggest someone get help by removing themselves from direct contact with the individual(s).

Anonymous said...

Clay,
Yeah when my wife and I encounter someone with a Machiavellian view point we'll say, "This is a case of, 'is prostitution good thing if the hooker uses her money to feed her kids?'"