8.20.2007

Ode to Ted

My friend Ted was released from his worship duties at Northwest yesterday so that he could fully pursue where God wants him next. Ted has become a close friend in our less than a year together so I thought I would sound off on some of the things that I love about my friend.

I actually didn't like Ted the first time I met him. I don't think I have told him that... but something about him rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe it was his sharp sense of humor... or his California "dude" slang... or his dashing good looks (snicker)... or his speak-his-mind way. Despite all that... I pressed on and spent time with him and Jen and his kids. And as we shared time together we came to understand each other and formed a deep bond. So here is what I love about Ted...

His creativity: He is a truly out of the box thinker when it comes to worship and doing church. From the first time he joined a staff meeting, I knew we were in for a wild ride. He loved experimenting and trying and creating and changing and pursuing. His creativity was on display at the Christmas Eve Service and during the Games People Play series.

His support: He supported my ministry. In fact for our two biggest events ever (the Got Milk and Roadtrip groupLinks) Ted put together a worship band and did a great job leading us in worship. He also supported my personally. He and his wife are involved with our family. We've talked about everything and have encouraged and challenged one another. We know that they want the best for us... they are on our side... in our corner... they are our fans. We would be lost without the Williams'. And we have tried to reciprocate the same for them.

His love for Jesus: Ted loves Jesus and wants that for everyone whom he serves. We have regularly stopped all talking and have prayed together for chunks of time... just seeking the hand of the Lord or peace for a difficult decision. He humbly seeks God and His truth in a way that invites others to join him.

His authenticity: Ted is not good at putting on a show or keeping a secret. What you see is what you get. He is a truth-teller and tells it like he sees it. That scares many people and make others uncomfortable, but I think it is how God has wired him. During our recent transition, a number of times Ted has give me honest assessment of what he thinks should or should not happen. I have come to not only accept that but to cherish that about Ted.

Ted is currently in Virginia with his family awaiting another medical procedure for his six year old, Noah. Unfortunately, he was not given the opportunity to say good-bye to his ministry or the church. I wish he was given that chance... It is hard to bring closure without saying good-bye. But if you feel led, I would encourage you to shoot him and his family some encouragement [ted.williams4@gmail.com] for the next leg of his journey.

Don't change my friend!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

sup with the trip to NC?

Coach Daugherty....

MarkC said...

Corporate America alive and well in the church.....

awe said...

Another occurence to make me scratch my head and wonder what is going on (in the inside workings). I grew up in a church that had a pastor push for more control of all of the day-to-day operating duties which left some staff out in the cold. I pray that this is not going on as it took many years for various peoples wounds to heal and for the church to even begin to recover.

TreasureHunter said...

Ted is not only a wonderful worship leader but a man of God. We also grea to love he and Jen. We will be praying for blessings in abundance, more than he can dream.